Thursday, March 25, 2010

End of the Month Literature circle Book Review: Patient Zero


Uhh..so this week I'm writing the book review of Patient Zero. Sorry but eh, I don't really feel like writing anything right now because someone stole my Ipod Touch today during P.E -_-. Therefore, I'm just like...out of it right now. Ok so I am back and my internets all screwed up. It’s just disconnecting like every fifteen seconds and I don’t know if I’ll be able to post this up.

            So, it’s monthly review time. Great lets get started. The book that I have chosen for our very first Literature Circle was Patient Zero by Jonathan Maberry. When I look back, I don’t really know why I chose this book. I was at Borders, browsing around and I just saw it in a corner. Maybe it was the awesome cover of the book, or maybe it was the description on the back. I don’t know. Take a look at it. The cover could mean anything, war, murderer, romance. Out of all that, it would probably have never been guessed that this was a story of zombies. I instantly knew that I had to have this book. After reading the small paragraph on the back of this book, I was already hooked and I DEMAND that anyone who likes horror novels, zombies, or something along the lines of that needs to read this epic book.

The story begins with this man. Some guy called Joe Ledger. Occupation: Detective. He works on the police force, but has something you can’t see, but you would get chills if you got on his bad side. He is the man who will save your ass in the events to come. From what I see, there are three groups within the story, although there might actually be just two [The Enemy of my Enemy is my Friend…]. There’s Joe Ledger, and his company of ass-kicking squad, the highly, yet not very religious faction, and the typical greedy and wealthy party funding the terrorists. The book sets off on a good pace; holding your eyes so that you can’t stop reading the book the instant you set your eyes on it. Ledger gets recruited by the DMS (Department of Military Science) and also gets to meet his so called acquaintances early on in the book who describe to him the horrors of the terrorist’s plans. One of the people that Ledges meets is a queer man who goes by many names, Mr. Church, Churchill and others. This man is very mysterious, so mysterious that the world’s most technologically advanced piece of equipment is unable to find one single thing about him. So, who is he? Beats me. As the events unravel, Joe and his crew go through terrifying ordeals to discover the plans of the terrorists. I don’t want to spoil the entire book for you so let’s just say that Joe doesn’t really save the world.

John Maberry has a very peculiar style of writing. Well I think I have seen it before but I don’t remember. I have never read a book that switched between so many points of views. One second you’re in the mind of a terrorist, the next your in Joe Ledgers mind, and then you go to the mysterious leader of the Department of Military Sciences. It’s not bad, actually, it’s pretty damn smart of him because many times while I was reading the book, I became engrossed in what was happening. I turn the page and it goes off to someplace else right in the middle of the good part. I get all twitchy afterward and I have to read through a couple sections to get back to it. I can’t stress this enough, from the very start of the book, to the very end of the book, there is so much going on. It’s all really very exciting. From the zombie brain busting, to the self-inflicted wounds, everything is in such great detail. Maberry’s style of writing is like…like a T.V. I could imagine all the events being played out. Even though he doesn’t describe things in excessive detail, I could always imagine that dark, dank room filled with coppery blood. The shoes of small infants, toys, electronic devices, tattered clothes strewn all across the floor. All in all, I would state that his writing style is based a lot on action, and the ability to let the reader visualize without seeing it mind you. I’d think this book was written for guys, because of all this blood, and secret organizations, and…well…the zombies. I must applaud Maberry for writing the book like this. I have read other zombie novels but this tops them all. Using already overused ideas, he manages to put enough action so that the reader barely even recognizes that fact because they’re so into reading the next part.

The mysterious man, who lives in shadows, and dies in the shadows, the man who we know as Mr. Churchill. As I have said, no one knows who he is. In the story the Department of Military Sciences have a piece of equipment called Mind Reader which is sort of like Google, but which can pull up basically anything at will. Joe Ledger and Grace Courtland use this to try and find some bit of information of Churchill. Unfortunately for them, they don’t find anything. Nothing at all. Probably the most advanced equipment they have can’t find one single thing on this man. This piques me greatly. I want to know why he is such a shadow in the world, but also one of the most powerful men in the world, he probably has the whole world at his fingertips. Churchill already has some very important people on his side. He can get anything he wants at the push of a button. There are all these questions again which Maberry creates, which pisses me off. Despite that, I can’t help admire how he has spent a great deal of time making Churchill such a major part of the story, yet no one knows about him beyond the fact that he’s the leader of the DMS. In the first or second section of the book, Grace tells Joe how she saw Churchill fighting in the hospital. I won’t spoil it but, she says Churchill rivaled Joe in skill. Who IS this guy? Man. It really bugs me… Churchill is the type of guy who people would avoid, just cross the street and walk as fast a possible. I think that he’s creepy and it just makes me nervous how he has so much power, yet he somehow remains under the radar, unseen, and unknown except by a handful of people….

1 comment:

  1. Delighted to see that you enjoyed PATIENT ZERO.

    Joe Ledger, Mr.Church and the rest of the DMS return in THE DRAGON FACTORY, which just came out. No zombies in that one, but there are transgenic mercenaries, scorpion-dogs, mutants, Nazis, and lots of action. And you get to learn some of Mr. Church's background.

    In 2011 Joe Ledger will return in THE KING OF PLAGUES, a secret society who are using modern versions of the Ten Plagues of Egypt as terrorist weapons to crash world economies. That book will be out next March.

    There are also two free Joe Ledger short stories available online: “COUNTDOWN” is a prequel to PATIENT ZERO (http://us.macmillan.com/CMS400/uploadedFiles/COUNTDOWN_free.pdf) and “DEEP, DARK”, which takes place just before the second book, THE DRAGON FACTORY. Here’s the link: http://jonathanmaberry.com/download-the-free-joe-ledger-story-deep-dark

    A third Joe Ledger short story, “ZERO TOLERANCE” will appear in the anthology THE LIVING DEAD 2 edited by John Joseph Adams for Night Shade Books. That story is a direct sequel to PATIENT ZERO, and the anthology will be out in September.

    PATIENT ZERO has also been nominated for ‘Best Novel’ in the Bram Stoker Awards, and winner will be announced tomorrow.

    Blackstone Audio will be releasing PATIENT ZERO as an audiobook later this year.

    The series has been optioned by producer Michael De Luca (Seven, Magnolia, Blade) on behalf of SONY and is in development for TV.

    ReplyDelete